Friday, July 29, 2005

Ain't it funny how we change

Sometimes without even knowing it.

Less than a year ago, I started using public transportation to get to work and back instead of driving. Not because it was cheaper (although it was) but because the traffic had become ridiculous and I wanted to a) escape the road rage bubbling inside me twice a day, and b) to do something else with that wasted time, like read.

Fast forward to now. I still have a car, but in the last 6 months I've driven it maybe 10 times and then only to do heavy grocery shopping. I use metro to go to and from work, and pretty much walk or use it to do everything else.

In the meantime, A's car died and was put to rest in a junkyard, so she was using mine. Of course, as my luck would have it, the clutch went out. So now Bianca is sitting peacefully in the driveway resting.

Me, doesn't really bother me. I can get a grocery dolly and no problem. The grocery store is 10-15 minutes' walk from here. But her? You'd think the world had come to an end.

But it is kind of interesting to see the differences in attitude. Me, I'm just thinking of what bus routes and metro routes go where. Her? She's lost.

I've also learned that there is a distinct public transportation etiquette. Like you say hello or good morning and thank you or somewhat to the bus driver when you get on or off. There's all kinds of etiquette regarding sitting, standing, where and when. There's even etiquette about when to move seats and not. Unreal.

But it's normal to me now. I can't imagine anything else.

Plus, standing up on the bus/metro is a damn good toning exercise. Rock on, arms and legs. I knew there must be something good about this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next step: get a bike and live happily ever after.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home