Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Work crap

Or more precisely, lack thereof. I have spent the better part of the last few days using my superior intellect and academic credentials putting numbered labels on pieces of paper and pulling out pieces of numbered paper for copying. No doubt, tomorrow I shall have numbered pieces of paper to reinsert in the files.

And you know what? I don't care. It doesn't bother me one bit. I actually like it. It gives me time to read crap on the internet, like blogs and news.

A couple years ago, this would bother me. I wanted more and more substantive work, researching, reviewing documents and writing. And I had it, and more than I could deal with. So much so that I got burnt out to the point that I ended up leaving my job in San Diego, so much so that I got fired from 2 jobs here in DC in less than a year.

And it has completely changed my perspective. Being fired isn't the end of the world. Doing crap work isn't the end of the world.

I'm not sure what's going to happen in the future with work. I know I will have work, I'm just not sure where. The firm where I'm working now is a great place to work, and the partner I'm working for has asked if I'm interested in permanent work. That was 2 months ago, though, and I've heard nothing about it since.

In some ways, being a temp is great. I'm not held to the same expectations as permanent employees, i.e., I can come in late, stay late, take holidays when I want. On the downside, I get no medical insurance, no benefits like paid holidays.

It's so hard sometimes to know what to do. I'd love to work for this firm for a couple years, but I know I'm going to end up leaving. And is that fair to them? Or should I even worry about that?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home