Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Another year, another address, another phone number

Well, that's not strictly true. I didn't have a landline at our current residence.

So I've done all the mundane things like set up the electricity, gas, cable and phone accounts, reserved the U-Haul for Monday, arranged to go over early on Friday and sign the leases and rider addendum, turn over a stash of cash (ouch!), and get the keys. I know I'm forgetting something, though, but I can't remember what. Hmmm, that's probably redundant, right?

Eureka! That's what it was. I forgot to get boxes from office services. My man Roscoe was kind enough to let me save a bunch of boxes from sure destruction by the evil trash people until Saturday. I'm hoping that they, along with probably 200 strong black trashbags will be enough to move all of our belongings.

Okay, so utilities: Check. Moving truck: Check. Boxes: Check (good thing I never unpacked my books. Hey, it wasn't my fault, really. I just never had the money to buy bookcases to unpack them into!) What else are we missing?

Ah, yes, movers. Well, apparently we've got half the transy/drag population of DC helping us. It's the best of both worlds, really. The strength of men, the style sense of a woman. Means I won't have to be directing them where to put all the furniture.

Yesterday, a guy I work with was cautioning me about not straining myself in the move, because he helped someone move a couple weeks ago and was seriously sore for the next few days. We were e-mailing all this back and forth. I'll see if I can c&p it in here for your viewing pleasure. You'll have to read it backwards, because that's just the way it is.

From: Coworker
To: Y
OK, I laughed out loud at both paragraphs!
Who says [taking advantage of] chivalry is dead?
_____________________________________________
From: Y
To: Coworker
Subject: RE: Monday, Nov. 28
Pah, to equal rights. I'm a nice southern girl and no self-respecting man would ever let a southern lady do anything that could result in her breaking a sweat or a nail.
Besides, my cuz and I moved every damn bit of it ourselves last time and I'm just not going through that again. If I can find stupid men with muscles to lift heavy things, I would be stupid to do it myself.
_____________________________________________
From: Coworker
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 4:38 PM
To: Y
Subject: RE: Monday, Nov. 28
Hmmm… I don't know. I would guess yes since there other tenants in the building will probably be here.
Hey! Equal rights!
_____________________________________________
From: Y
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 4:36 PM
To: Coworker
Subject: RE: Monday, Nov. 28
Ah, really? Is there air/heat here on Friday? If I have time and energy, I was thinking of coming in, at least to try to pick up some boxes from office services.
PS - I'm the girl, I'm not lifting a damn thing!
_____________________________________________
From: Coworker
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 4:35 PM
To: Y
Subject: RE: Monday, Nov. 28
Urg -- moving day. Lift carefully!
And happy t-day -- I'll likely be out tomorrow.
_____________________________________________
From: Y
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 1:04 PM
To: Coworker
Subject: Monday, Nov. 28
Hey, we found an apartment but the only time we can get helping hands to lift stuff is next Monday, so I'll need to be off at least half the day, probably the whole day, if that's ok.

You know, I was pretty damn witty there, if I do say so myself. I was feeling very Dorothy Parker-ish. There are certainly worse things to feel.

1 Comments:

Blogger chimera said...

Hope your move is going well !

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home