Thursday, March 16, 2006

Career Change: Snow White, Fairy Tale Heroine



So here’s the scene: very crowded Metro car, people jammed in elbow to boob to armpit to nose, hanging on to the railings, jostling for any spare inch they could find. I find myself accosted by a Talker. You know, one of those people who WILL NOT SHUT UP. The Talker Talks along merrily to anyone, or no one, about anything, or nothing. You don’t even have to answer the Talker, or even acknowledge their existence. Of course, if you’re me, you feel rude not doing so, so you stand there ignoring them with a fake smile on your face, studiously avoiding looking at them while you try to figure out if you should recognize their existence and run the risk of fueling further Talking. My unease was compounded on this particular occasion by the fact that the Talker was Talking to my boobs. Not his fault, really, being as he was all of about 4 feet tall. Literally. I’m not joking.

So we are pulling into our station, his soliloquy rolling on, when all of a sudden the Talker starts singing, “Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it’s off to work we go . . .” and exits as the doors open. Yes, out loud. It was the absolute funniest thing I’ve seen and heard in ages. I almost fell over laughing as he merrily strolled down the platform, turning to give me a wink.

Maybe I should adopt him, name him Chatty and call myself Snow White.

Wanted: 6 More Dwarves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home