Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Happy Days! Or are they?

So here I am, rolling along in the new job, a few minor stumbles here and there along the way, but generally producing my immaculate products of perfection, as usual. Then along comes the announcement in the Monday morning weekly status meeting that we had been retained by a (rather large) wine company to represent them again. Those who had worked on a prior case for them oooh'ed and aaaah'ed, refreshing the rest of us with their memories of how much fun was had on it, what with all the free wine, etc. No firm of teetotallers, this one!

As I said, here I am, now wishing, hoping against hope to be assigned to this case. And lo and behold, I was! Oh, happy day! I hear a song in my head:

Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again

I went home happy and contented, quite sure that this job that dropped into my lap out of nowhere really was meant for me. I mean, surely this was a sign! Right?

Well, the joke is on me (and certainly not for the first or last time, I'm sure). Yes, I'm on this case, and yes, we'll be getting cases of free wine, but I'm also working for 2 people who are in every office, and universally reviled. First is the associate: he's that guy who shuffles along, won't pick his feet up to walk properly, hunches over even though he's all of about 5'6", talks in that whiny, nasally, twangy voice, has absolutely zero social skills, and his office smells. Great. In comparison, the second guy is a treat: one of the head honchos, the type whose work is always more important than anything else you're doing, even if it's just indexing a stupid box that's been sitting in his office for 6 years (hey, you put the shit in there, you should know what it is, dammit!), and who is always on your back about whatever it is, i.e., The Micromanager.

*sigh*

Please tell me this will be over soon so I can start cracking open the bottles, because I think I'm going to need them. If you want some cheap Italian wine, let me know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Well, at least if your job is driving you to drink, you'll get free booze!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home