Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Bonus Post

Just because you've all (all 3 of my adoring readers) waited so kindly and patiently (even if one of you did threaten me with doing some sort of penance, which is okay as long as it doesn't involve the dreaded Blue Drink), you get an extra post today.

So what's the deal with monster.com? I mean, c'mon, I posted my resume a whole 30 minutes ago and haven't gotten one e-mail. Not even one, dammit! What's up with that? Maybe it's yahoo's fault. Maybe Yahoo wants me to stay at this temp gig for 2/3 of what I should be making. Although I don't really see how that would benefit Yahoo. I mean, if I got a decent perm gig I could potentially upgrade my Yahoo to an actual paying account, so you'd think they'd want those e-mails to come flying in, right? Hrmpf.

Yeah, I've decided I've got to bite the bullet and get out there and get myself one of those permanent type jobs that pay semi-monthly and have neat extras like health insurance and bonuses and pre-tax transportation accounts and retirement accounts and stock options. Okay, everything except the stock options part - c'mon, law firms don't have stocks! Silly people.

It's just become too easy to lollygag around this temp gig. It's easy work, they don't expect too much, don't really care when I come in or when I leave, and are thrilled when I perform anything with above average competence or take something one step further of my own volition. They let me play online as much as I want, put up with my silliness and weird sense of humor, let me wear pretty much anything (read: no suits). Where else am I gonna find all this? And why would I want to leave?

Oh, yeah, the money and benefits thingy. I almost forgot.

But I really, really, really hate interviewing. And to be honest, I don't think I'm much good at it. And this time around, I have to come up with some good fast talking about why I got fired twice in the space of a year without actually saying I got fired. And why there is a 3 month gap on the resume. And why my experience is all over the board (I prefer to think of it as broad experience in several different but related fields myself).

At least now I know what I'd like to be doing for about the next 2-3 years. Unfortunately it's the job I'm doing now. Maybe if I start going out on interviews and they realize I might actually leave they'll be motivated to get their asses in gear and hire me already.

*sigh*

PS - yes, I know that this bonus post doesn't give me leeway to ignore you for a month or so, don't worry, I'll be back. Really. I promise. ;-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Well, I was hoping that because it was a PUBLIC promise, it would actually be kept! Oh how wrong I was!

And yet, ever the optimist, I am hoping that you do actually keep this promise.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home