Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Too much moving

Well, that's what someone said to me today about this blog lately, and I have to agree on more than one level. I'm sick to death of dealing with moving stuff, and I'm sick to death of moving around all the time. It would be nice to settle down in one place for a while, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon what with my wanting to travel and live all over the world. So hopefully this will be the last moving post for a while, and so I'm going to spill everything out here.

After having secured the new place and arranged all the utilities, I decided to enjoy myself for a change and went to happy hour with some friends on Wednesday for some beers, LOST, and burgers, not necessarily in that order. It was a nice night; it even snowed a little which was really lovely. So I arrive home after this lovely evening to find that it's raining in my kitchen. Yep, there are at least 8 constant drips from the ceiling, including from the ceiling fan (good thing there wasn't a light in there turned on). As it was going on 11:30 pm, I deemed it just a wee bit too late to be calling the Bastard Landlord, so I positioned various bowls and receptacles around, wiped up the water with towels, and went to bed praying the ceiling wouldn't cave in.

Prime Rib Day arrived and I kindly waited until 9 am to call Bastard Landlord. He came over, looked around upstairs, came down and look at our kitchen and said, "Oh yes, the carpenters accidentally put a nail through a pipe yesterday and blew out the wall upstairs with the water bursting out. This must have been the rest of the water trapped between the walls seeping out." Basically, nothing we could do but continue emptying all the bowls and hope the sky didn't fall on us. Very nice. Thank God we're outta here, I'm thinking.

Picked up prime rib dinner and pies and booze for PR Day, fixed everything up, had lovely buzzed day eating and drinking with the Cuz, took a nap, then decided I was too lazy to get ready to go to drag karaoke so ended up watching crap tv.

The rest of the weekend was meant to be packing for Monday's move, which didn't get done at all, of course. Because packing ahead of time would just be silly, and just doesn't fit in with my tradition at all. You see, I've moved about 1,036,592 times and I know for a fact that packing ahead of time is really just a waste of time when you can just put together a few boxes, throw random shit in the box (making sure each box contains random shit from only one room), throw your clothes in large black trash bags (the strong kind, Hefty, preferably), leave your hanging clothes as they are, and generally toss all the stuff you don't want in one corner to be thrown out later.

Monday rolled around and we didn't even pick up the excessively crappy U-Haul truck until noon (oops). And once again, of course, none of our supposed help showed. Why should we expect this move to be any different, I ask you? Fuckers. But I digress. So the Cuz and I moved everything, EVERYTHING, ourselves yet again.

I have to admit I could have had just a bit more foresight in one aspect of the move. With regard to The Sofa. Now, I've had this sofa for about 5 years. I got it and the companion chair and a set of coffee table and end tables from a friend in San Diego for the grand total of $300, and it's oh so comfortable. Yes, it's getting dirty and Buca has shredded the arms of The Sofa and the chair, but I so love them and I'm just going to get some slipcovers for them (really, I am, soon, I swear). So I was more than a tad bit upset when, at 7 pm, we were having a little trouble fitting The Sofa through the front door. See, the arms are very rounded and have an elegant shape, but really are not so conducive to moving through rather more narrow doors than I've had before. We tried and tried and tried to wedge and lever it through every which way for about 45 minutes, then a neighbor came to help and we tried and tried and tried again. We decided that what we really needed to do was wait for our new landlord to come home so we could open his door up (he lives just across the hall, still not sure how that's going to pan out) and have more room to lever The Sofa through. We left The Sofa sitting on end on the landing between our apartments, which was quite the picture, let me just tell you. We continued to bring in whatever would fit through the narrow opening provided between The Sofa and the door and waited for New Landlord to come home.

Here's where the Saga of The Sofa gets funny. Even after New Landlord got home and opened his door, we still couldn't get The Sofa through the door, not even with his help. The wooden legs on it were getting in the way. So we just chopped them off with his saw. Yep. Chopped. Them. Off. So now The Sofa sits about 4 inches lower than it did. It looks pretty funny, like a Japanese sofa or something.

So in the end we did get everything in. The Cuz was over at the old place today to get the few remaining things out, and did a quick general sweep. Which I think is more than that place deserves considering a) Bastard Landlord is going to have to rip the whole place apart to get it into a condition that anyone would even think about buying the place and b) we have evidence that he has been inside the apartment BEFORE we have transferred the control of the premises back to him, which is highly illegal under landlord-tenant law in this state.

And last night I went and bought a big new tv for the living room, and I ordered a beautiful new comforter set for my bedroom online. Now we have to unpack all our crap (remember throwing random shit from only one room into each box? Perhaps marking the boxes might have been a good idea, too.), I mean, belongings, organize, and decide on paint colors for the rooms. Wheeeee! I get to paint and play designer! I'm so excited!

PS - The fucktards at the local gas utility turned OFF the gas on the very day that I had set it up for INITIATION. So we have no hot water and can't cook until sometime tomorrow. Cold showers suck ass.

PPS - Someone also requested more sex and drama. The Cuz thinks New Landlord is hot and might swing that way. I told her in no uncertain terms that she is NOT allowed to fuck New Landlord. I'll keep you all posted on that one, I don't trust her one iota.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I really hope this place becomes a home unlike the stressball you last lived in.

Painting and new comforters always help settle you right in too.

As for the cuz and the new landlord....could mean lowered rents!? :)

-snkysally

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ever think you shouldnt buy a tv or comforters when you basically just got evicted from your last place??

1:12 PM  
Blogger Y said...

Karen, I hope so, too.

Anon, have some balls and post under a real name. And I'll do with my money what I damn well please. Bastard Landlord will get his money, as much as he doesn't really deserve it for letting a place turn into a tenement.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home