Monday, May 22, 2006

Status Confirmation

Just so you all know, it has been confirmed: I'm officially a card-carrying member of Crazy Cat Ladies of America, with visiting rights in other countries that are members of Crazy Cat Ladies International.

What this really means is that I've had to cancel my vacation to the UK for which I was supposed to be leaving Thursday after work. The reason, you ask?

Because I have to pay mucho dineros to take Buca to the kitty kardiologist and the specialty dentist. Like around $1500 worth of specialty veterinary care for a seemingly healthy cat.

Now, I know that most people don't get it. You think I'm nuts to spend that much money on a pet.

But you know what I think? I think YOU don't get it. You don't get that pets aren't something just there for your convenience and that when they become inconvenient, you just throw them away like that toy you got tired of playing with when you were 5 years old. Pets are living beings entirely dependent on us for their health and survival, and all they do is give us love (and lots of extra hair, but whatever).

Whoa. Ok, sorry for that rant, been spending too much time looking at pet adoption sites and wanting to declaw lots of irresponsible humans . . .

So anyway, I'm not going on vacation after all. I'll be taking off this Friday and the following Tuesday so I get a lovely 5 day weekend, which I plan to spend with Buca and Chico, and hopefully doing something productive, like giving away books and finding some bookcases. I also plan to do something completely unproductive, like go to the Zoo or the National Gallery of Art for an afternoon.

I still can't believe I'm spending my vacation money at the vet's office. But at least I got a nifty identification card to confirm my Crazy Cat Lady status. Laminated and everything.

3 Comments:

Blogger zoe said...

But you've always been crazy. A lady, no, crazy, yes.

4:56 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

You already know *I* get it, but it makes total sense to me (and to Superdog and Truman the Bird as well).

4:16 PM  
Blogger Melanie O. said...

Awww... I hope Buca feels better soon! I know what it's like to spends thousands on your pet - but who can stand by and watch their pet suffer?

I think you're doing the right thing. The UK will wait...

xoxoxo - Aussie

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home