Monday, April 17, 2006

. . . One Step Back

Isn't it funny how when things are going along swimmingly in almost every aspect of life, there comes that day when the adage comes true? You know, the one about "two steps forward, one step back?" Yeah, well, that's this weekend and even into today.

Work is going great blazes. I'm really busy, and have started making a reputation for myself as an excellent proofreader and citechecker, to the point where my services (as such) are being requested by certain very particular attorneys. A couple of attorneys have also found out that I have research skills far beyond what paralegals usually have, and have begun assigning me research projects that they would normally give to a law clerk or new associate. After the last few years of being a pretty crap employee, this really feels wonderful. So why then do I find it almost impossible to drag myself into work today? I have already called in sick (actually true, see below) with back trouble and will call back in a little while to have them e-mail me the big important document I'm supposed to be proofing this week so I can work on it here.

Then there's my back. It has been steadily improving, but over the weekend, I think I just did too much and it's incredibly painful this morning. Six weeks ago when I first hurt it, I dragged my hunchback Quasimodo ass into work anyway, even if I had to walk bent over. Today? Not a chance. I could, but I'm not.

And this last paycheck was the first one where I could actually start putting away significant amounts in savings. But what did I do? I went crazed on shopping instead. Aaarrrggghhhhh. I still paid my bills and all that stuff, went grocery shopping, put money on my Smartrip card for work transport, but . . .

At least I did one responsible thing and took Buca to the vet. The ungrateful sod didn't appreciate the vast amount of money I spent on him either and completely ignored me for the rest of Saturday. And I am a bit worried now. I knew he had a slight heart murmur, but it may have gotten more pronounced. He's lost a significant amount of weight, but he's still over 10 lbs, so not sure how much that is normal. He may be becoming hyperthyroid. He also may have an abscess or growth in his mouth, which can't be known until he is sedated and x-rayed, which of course is complicated what with the heart murmur. Worry, worry, worry. I'm a very scared cat-dog mom right now. I just can't lose him right now, can't imagine it happening ever, really. There are just certain pets that are truly once-in-a-lifetime pets, and Buca always has been, since Day One.

Ah, well, at least I have some fabulous new clothes and shoes. And that always makes me happy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

New clothes and shoes - the cure for almost any ailment. :-)

I hope your back feels better soon!

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home