Monday, April 24, 2006

Name that dish!

This is something I kind of threw together over the weekend, and I want to name it but I have no idea what to call it. Can you help? Suggestions in the comments, please.

Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 jar Safeway Select Peach Pineapple Salsa
1 can frijoles negro
1 cup brown rice

Method:
Make rice according to package directions, stopping the cooking a little short of done.
Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Saute over medium high to high heat in a deep pan in a little olive oil with salt and pepper until starting to get golden. The centers will still be pink, that's ok.
Dump in the salsa, the beans, and the rice. Stir to combine. Lower heat to medium low, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through and the rice has absorbed the flavors from the salsa and beans.

That's it. I have no idea what to call it. It's really, really yummy, though. I even ate it for breakfast yesterday!

BTW, apologies for being so absent. I've been bumped up from the second on a huge case to being in charge of it, and it's consuming all that procrastination time that I used to use to blog!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

My naming suggestion: Tropical Mexican Chicken (or TropMexChick if you want to shorten it). If this ends up in a cookbook that you write, I will demand a cut of the royalties!!

5:13 AM  
Blogger Y said...

Well, it is tropical, and a bit Mexican . . . but sometime in my slumber, the name Calypso Chicken came to me. Can't you just imagine steel drums being played while eating this?

Okay, maybe I'll think a little more on it . . .

9:42 AM  
Blogger Cooks said...

Might go and see if we have that salsa over here and try making it myself, cause it sure sounds jummy!! What would be an alternative for the salsa?

1:26 PM  
Blogger chimera said...

Cookie, you might try chutney instead of the salsa.

Y, sounds pretty good ! I like the sound of Calypso Chicken but the dish does seem more Mexican than Caribbean. Perhaps Cancun Chicken or Yucatan Chicken ?

3:42 AM  
Blogger Y said...

Can't stand the sound of Yucatan, and refuse to use Cancun on principle. Gah.

Ah, well, I'll just keep calling it that chicken/salsa/beans/rice thing. Doesn't really matter, so long as it tastes good!

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home