Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Inadequacy

In spite of all my goals for this year, and prior accomplishments, I'm feeling a bit inadequate some days. I know we all do, and it's not that big a deal, but I thought a little self-indulgent whining about it might make me feel better.

See, I have these friends. Friends who blog. Friends who have deep thoughts about things like fashion and cinema as art and literature and politics. They can wax poetic about the last movie they saw or the latest ready to wear line or the fabulous new chef at that soon-to-be-trendy restaurant down the way.

But me? I'm really a simple, country girl for as urban and cosmopolitan as I think I am sometimes. Fashion? I like things that look pretty. Cinema? I like movies that are entertaining. Literature? I like a good story with interesting characters. Food/wine? If it tastes good, I'll eat it or drink it. That's about as in-depth as my thoughts get on those things. Which leaves me feeling fairly superficial today.

In other news, today is my 9th official day of not smoking. You read that right. Nine whole days with not one puff. The only time I really craved a cig was in celebration after my beloved Redskins win their wildcard playoff game Saturday night. Mornings I also want one with my coffee, but I think that was more of a habitual thing than an addiction. In fact, physically, it doesn't seem to have affected me at all. I think it was the habit of sitting still for long enough to smoke one (or 6) and having that time to contemplate that I really liked.

Also, since last Wednesday morning, I have lost a grand total of: (drum roll, please) a stunning 1.5 lbs. *sigh* It's a bit anticlimactic, especially since I've been forcing myself not to get addicted to the scale, but to be honest, I've been eating well, but eating a lot. And I cheated a couple times. And I'm sure that the massive bowl of chili with tons of beans I just ate (homemade by moi) doesn't help much. (Oh, shit, and I forgot I have a meeting this afternoon! Oops!) But, it's better than nothing, and I do feel much less bloated on a daily basis now.

Other boring stuff: I figured out what's wrong with the digicam. Nothing. I just have an operating system that's too old. Enter Freecycle where I requested an upgrade and am in touch with a few people so will have one by the weekend. That ought to be the digicam sorted, so I can start posting pics of random crap soon. 'Cuz I know you've all been waiting for that, all 3 of you. Also, Craigslist has provided me with a 19 inch tv for my bedroom for the low, low price of $25.

And finally, if you could spare a few positive thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Another cousin's youngest child went to the hospital yesterday and they think he had a stroke. The kid is only 4 years old! The latest information is that he responded to a touch on his foot. That's all I know. So, please, whatever you believe in, spare a kind thought for an innocent, sick child. Thanks muchly.

Editted: The dingbat from Craigslist sold the tv out from under me, the bitch.

And just to add: my deep thoughts are saved for things like the meaning of life, what will my legacy in this world be, and whether those shoes go with that outfit.

3 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

You are one of the least boring people I've met! You're real, and that's never boring....

Yay for the not smoking and for the weight loss.

And your cousin's child is in my thoughts. How sad.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Y said...

Ha! "You're real" is a euphemism for something, I'm sure.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Congratulations on the 9 days without a ciggie. That's amazing. And 1.5 lbs is good. It's a healthy and sustainable amount to lose.

Can I join the simple blogging club? I have nothing specific I blog about either. Though, I was thinking of starting a food blog. Haven't decided yet. I'm into food, but I'm no crazy foodie. I do want to enhance my vegetarian cooking skills though and I thought blogging would help and encourage that.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home