Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Money really is the root of all evil

I have a dilemma. It is a dilemma that I would have killed for only a month ago. But it leaves me in a state of paralysis now.

Here it is.

Millie the not-so-thoroughly-modern really appears to be down for the count, pending a professional savior. I've done everything I know how, and even solicited some help and ideas from those more knowledgeable than me (but still not quite professional in this area), all to no avail. So for the meantime, Millie is pasturing and I'm on the hunt for a new laptop (name to be determined).

I have two choices: I can treat myself and get a new one, custom-built to my specifications, complete with a very fashionable laptop tote bag and free printer, or I can get a cheaper used one, still perfectly good for a while, for a few hundred less.

But wait. That's not even the dilemma.

The real problem is that I also want to buy plane tickets for my forthcoming vacation in the UK. (Yes, you read that right, VACATION!)

Now. I could get a cheaper, used laptop AND get my plane tix with my first humongo paycheck from the new job. OR I could do what I've been absolutely dying to do and order that custom lappie and get the plane tix next month. But the problem is, the fares (which are already not that great, but are doable) could go way, way up by then, making the trip impossible.

GAAAHHHHHH. See, money really is the root of all evil. If I didn't have the wherewithal to do all of these things, I'd be happily working along, just paying my rent and bills and getting a really cheap laptop.

A few updates: Weight loss not going well. I've started over again. Kind of. But impending vacation really makes this more of a priority now. Non-smoking is going VERY well. Had a few cigs a few weeks ago when out with a friend, and that's it. I don't even really think about them anymore. Booze, same as cigs. I even turned down free booze the last few days from the landlord's leftovers from Super Bowl. Skin, much better now that Proactiv is vanquished from my medicine cabinet.

And I may be living alone again very soon. More on that another time.

2 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

Can you do the custom laptop on payment plans -- pay for half this month and half next month? Or (gasp!) charge it and pay it off next month?

3:35 PM  
Blogger Y said...

But, but, but . . . I want a new custom pretty one! (can you hear the whine already?)

Sadly, no way possible to do payment plans or charge it, not with my shitty credit.

I think I already know what I'm going to do. It's just the indecision leading up to hitting the "submit" button that kills me.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home