Thursday, January 26, 2006

And for my next trick, watch me pull a NEW JOB out of my ass!

There's a hole in my pants! Well, it was a perfectly great day until I realized that. (yes, I recycled that title, but it makes me giggle, so deal with it. And I just like saying ass.)

Sorry I haven't been updating, but a lot has been going on in the last week, as some of you already know. So here's the scoop:
  • That interview that happened last Friday went really super great. It's the first interview I ever really prepared for, and I think that really paid off. Plus, 2 of the people there actually know the tiny little rural place where I grew up, so I got brownie points for that. Also got extra points for being assertive and aggressive and even a bit arrogant, asking them why I should want to work for them.
  • So I got the job and I start on 1 Feb. I tried to negotiate for more money than they offered, but wasn't able to get more. Hey, at least I tried. And in the end, I'm still making more money than I ever have before. Time to start planning some trips, methinks. And also . . .
  • Time to buy a new-to-me laptop, too. I think Millie has to be put out to pasture. Not so thoroughly modern Millie, I guess. I'm still hoping she can be brought up to the late 20th century so The Cuz can use her at least. If anyone wants to give me recommendations on a new-to-me laptop, feel free. I'll be looking in the $400-500 range, although I'm really tempted to wait a few weeks and get a refurbished/returned/whatever Dell off their website. I'm just wondering if it's worth the higher cost to buy directly from Dell or any of the other companies over cheaper cost at a local used store or from eBay.
  • The "healthy eating" thing was going really well. I'd say I was eating very well 95% of the time for the last 3 weeks. For a total weight gain of 1.5 lbs! What the fuck? I'm blaming it on bloating and PMS. Of course this made me pig out on chocolate stuff yesterday after the weekly weigh-in. Will resume healthy eating next week sometime.
  • The Proactiv KILLED my face. Gah, it was horrible! Not only did it make it dry, red and flaky/scaly, but it actually irritated it so much that I ended up with MORE spots and even areas oozing clear cellular fluid that scabbed up. Really disgusting. So I gave my skin a break and I'm going back to my old routine from when I had perfect skin, back before I started neglecting it and drinking and smoking too much. It already feels better.
  • I started going out again with one of my single friends here, the same one that got me the interview for my new job. She is trying to talk me into going to some singles events here in town. I figure what the hell, it can't be any worse than meeting randoms in bars, right? Look for reports here, I'm sure it will render some hilarious and scary events.
  • I finally gave in and got a cheapie TV off craigslist for my bedroom. Okay, okay, it was more than I wanted to pay, but $40 for being able to laze in bed on a weekend morning and watch Animal Planet is a bargain, I say.
  • I've been trying to take new pics of myself to update the one over there to the left, which results mainly in me feeling really foolish no matter whether I try to take them myself or The Cuz takes them. I will press on, though, because to be quite honest, I'm loving the new black of my hair. Plus, I re-shaped my eyebrows and I just know all 3 of you out there won't be able to sleep at night until you've seen them.

In other news, I think I've figured out the neighborhood. It all makes sense now. The plethora of churches, the abundance of funeral parlors, the barber shops and braiding salons in every other storefront . . . I finally got it. See, all the churches are there so the good people of the 'hood (like the Jesus freak neighbor) can go and pray they don't get killed. The funeral parlors - well, that's kind of self-explanatory, isn't it? And the barber shops and salons - hey, if you're gonna get killed, you might as well look good, right? Plus, you've got to look good to go to church and impress everybody else. Really, I'm shocked it took me this long to noodle it all out. So much for that genius IQ I supposedly have.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job

9:51 PM  
Blogger machiruda said...

I might have already said it elsewhere, but: congrats on the new job! Very cool that it has worked out, and hopefully it'll be a good place to work at (everything you've said about it sounds promising).

4:55 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh, this is such wonderful news! Congratulations on the new job! I hope it's a perfect fit.

12:36 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

I'm waiting for the new eyebrows!!!!

(Oh, and congrats on the job!)

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home