Thursday, February 02, 2006

The View from This Side

Is looking pretty damned good, I must say.

As I settle into this new workplace, I find a new work Me. Or rather, perhaps I'm re-finding the lost Work Me, the one who was the go-getter, the best, the untiring, the unflappable, the irrepressible, the insatiable . . . And I like it. I more than like it, I love it. Again, I'm struck by how much of myself I've thought was lost these past few years for various reasons, and it's really comforting to know that maybe other bits that I've been missing aren't really lost but are just submerged, waiting for the right time/place/circumstance to assert themselves again. Sheesh, I sound like some psycho with a multiple personality disorder or something. No, you don't! See?

Anyway, everyone here seems quite nice, and there are some really strong personalities here. I can already tell some people have to be handled in certain ways, and that's fine. I don't have all that much to do as yet; they're trying to let me settle in first and do some basic background reading. Which, of course, means some internet time for me to do things like, oh, blog.

In other news, and I'm sure TessaJ and Julia will have something to say about this, but I am soooo not loving the new Luella Bartley line at Target. I expected more. On the other hand, I still love most of the Isaac Mizrahi stuff. Man, I never thought I'd ever really like stuff from Tarzhay for anything more than lazing around the house, but Isaac's line is nicely cut and affordable and most of the fabrics are far nicer than you'd expect. There, that's my fashion report for the year.

I've also looked and looked and looked at notebook pc's until my head spun and I had to stop. Then I went back and looked some more. I think I've got the specs that I want narrrowed down and the price range is pretty much where I want it. The only question is whether to order straight from a manufacturer and wait for delivery, which could be a few weeks, or go to a computer store and chance that they have what I want there. I suppose it couldn't hurt to mosey on by a CompUSA or similar this weekend, just to look . . . but I seriously have withdrawals at not having any internet at home. So much so that I spent $50 just to get a replacement operating system for Millie on the off chance that perhaps she can work at least for internet purposes. Ah, well, it's only $50.

Funny, $50 would have been my grocery budget for 2 weeks a few months ago. The times, they are a'changin' and I like the view from this side. I think I'll stay here on it for a while.

3 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

There's a couple of pieces that I've liked, but the more I look at it, nothing is really standing out as absolutely necessary. I do have an Isaac Mizrahi skirt and loved one of his jackets for spring -- like you said, far nicer than one would expect (though up close a lot of it feels cheap cheap cheap).

5:48 PM  
Blogger iggy said...

I know where your coming from on the real work you thing. I was so demoralised by eternal temping that I thought I'd never get a job which I was enthused about again.
Now I'm almost too eager and keep asking for more to do :)

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jayne - gotapex.com is a good discount site for laptops, especially Dells. Keep watching it until you see a deal for at least 30% off.

~Jill

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home