Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

I'd like to know what's going on in my neighborhood. In fact, I'd like to know just what kind of neighborhood I'm actually living in. Because just when I think I've got it all figured out, something happens to change my mind.

For example, just across the alley that runs behind our building is a car dealership lot. Naturally, there are many new cars on the lot, which is surrounded by a fence that gets locked each night. In addition to this security, and I imagine there is also electronic surveillance and security system, they also let loose two rather large German Shepherds each night. Occasionally The Cuz will hear the dogs going crazy, and we'll look out there to see degenerate teens joy riding around the parking lot after having hotwired the cars. This doesn't last too long because the police precinct is on the next block up, so they hightail it outta there pretty damn quick. This kind of activity doesn't bother me in the least. First, nobody in their right mind would ever steal my car, not even for parts. Second, the cops are, like, RIGHT THERE. So, whatever.

Then, a few weeks after we moved in, there was a shooting about 10 blocks away. Again, this didn't really bother me. It was drug and/or gang related, and neither The Cuz nor I are involved in any of that type of activity. Plus, this is a major city, crime happens, and sometimes it will happen near us, inevitably. So, again, whatever.

But then, last week, something strange happened when I was walking home from the bus. As I passed one of the buildings at the other end of the block, I heard a sound like a cap pistol would make, a very sharp, staccato sound, like when you throw caps on the ground when you're kids. Then I heard several clicks, followed by another sharp, staccato sound, then more clicks. I know I wasn't imagining this, because a gentleman walking towards me looked up at the building at the same time. I just walked on, minding my own business, if a little faster. I guess I figured if they were taking aim at my back and it was my time, then it was my time. And I told myself I was being stupid.

Until I got inside and The Cuz told me she'd been worried about me (I was later than usual) because approximately 20 minutes earlier she'd heard what sounded like gunshots from the opposite direction and she thought I'd be walking in from that direction instead. I didn't really think that much about it for the rest of the evening. I thought perhaps it was an old car backfiring. The cars in the neighborhood aren't all nice, late model Japanese jobs, after all.

But what The Cuz told me the next morning gave me the shivers. She said an ambulance had gone to the other end of the block, and when it had gone back by our building, she saw through the back windows that there was someone in a body bag in the back.

Now, it could just be that someone died of natural causes and it's a complete coincidence. Or maybe someone committed suicide. Or maybe, just maybe, someone really was shooting a gun up there. Who knows? Things like that don't always make the news here, especially if the victim isn't someone white and middle class.

And then The Cuz told me this morning that she heard 7, yes 7, gunshots out back in the alley at exactly 1:09 a.m.

To be honest, I don't really know what to think. My bedroom is situated such that it's like a well-insulated cave. I don't hear anything, really, unless the next door neighbors are fighting. I have no idea what goes on after I go to sleep.

So either I'm living in a relatively safe, up and coming neighborhood. Or I could get shot. Who knows?

PS - the crazy Jesus freak lady has started taking pictures of people late at night on the street getting into and out of cars. I'm not exactly sure what that's supposed to accomplish . . .

1 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

How scary -- even if nothing happened, the coincidence alone would be enough to get me antsy.

I'm sure you're relatively safe, though -- and that most of your neighbors are good people, just like you and your Cuz!

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home