Friday, March 24, 2006

Justice

Justice ran rampant on the bus this morning.

No, really. A little boy ran up and down the aisle of the bus for the 30 minutes that I was on it. He talked incessantly, sang, hit the bars and seats going back and forth, and his mother did absolutely nothing about it. When we got to the Metro station, he was running around through the swarm of rush hour commuters, and I heard her call to him, "Justice!"

Which made me think a bit, and shake my head. Because now this poor kid has basically 2 options in life: either he can end up on the receiving end of justice or he can end up meting it out. Some names are just self-fulfilling prophecies, you know? This isn't the kind of situation where he can just become an accountant or a janitor. And the way his mother refused to corral him makes me just a bit more inclined to say he's going to be seeing some justice in the future, and not from the good side.

Then I took the escalator down into the abyss, and walking through the tunnel I noticed, as I frequently do, a poster advertising TV shows. One of the shows that's being advertised lately is the L'il Kim show Countdown to Lockdown on BET. There's some justice, right? Or is it? Is it a cautionary tale about how you will end up paying the price, or is it profit and glamourization of wrongdoing?

Where is the Justice?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home